Asparagus Crab Soup
Recipe by Thoa Van Seventer
Servings: 6-8 cups
4 chicken backs, skinless and trimmed of loose fat
1 daikon radish, peeled and rough chopped (optional)
2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
8 cps., water
2 whole eggs
1 cp., fresh crabmeat (checked for shells)
10 white asparagus (white, peeled jarred asparagus are sold in Asian grocery stores)
1 tsp., sesame oil
1 tbsp., cornstarch
1 tsp., soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Make the Broth: this can be done the night before.
1. Put chicken backs, daikon radish (if using), and yellow onions in cold water.
2. Slowly bring to a simmer, and let simmer for over an hour.
3. Add salt and pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
4. When the broth is ready, strain everything, and set aside.
Make the Soup:
1. Mix the cornstarch with a bit of cold water, and set aside.
2. Warm up the broth and add the white asparagus and crab meat.
3. Bring to a gentle boil and crack in the whole eggs, combining with a fork or whisk.
4. After the boil, slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the soup, and stir very thoroughly.
5. Serve hot with some sprigs of cilantro on top to decorate the soup.