Mast-O-Khiar, Persian Yogurt with Cucumber Dip
Recipe by Mojdeh Z, as featured at our Persian Feast for Moms Against Poverty
In Iran, they serve this dip with bread during the summer for dinner, when the weather is hot. This is the best food for the summertime heat.
2 lbs. organic whole milk yogurt
2 large English cucumbers, peeled
1 medium yellow onion, peeled
1 cp. chopped fresh mint or 1/3 cp. dried mint
Salt, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1. Grate cucumbers on coarse grater
2. Grate onion on coarse grater. Drain and squeeze out the excess onion water.
3. In a big bowl, combine the grated cucumbers and onions, add the yogurt and mix well.
4. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Serve this dip by itself or as side dish to a larger meal.